So, I recently read the book, "Sun Stand Still" by Steven Furtick. Last year during our "One Prayer" series at Praxis Church we watched a video message done by him and I loved it. I knew he also had a book, and I put it on my wish list. Well, thanks to the Blogging For Books program, I didn't have to wait too long (and didn't have to pay for my copy!).
The back of the book says, "If you're not DARING TO BELIEVE GOD for the impossible, you may be SLEEPING THROUGH some of the BEST PARTS of your Christian life. This book is not a Snuggie. The words on these pages will not go down like Ambien. I'm not writing to calm or coddle you. With God's help, I intend to incite a riot in your mind. Trip your breakers and turn out the lights in your favorite hiding places of insecurity and fear. Then flip the switch back on so that God's truth can illuminate the divine destiny that may have been lying dormant inside you for years. In short, I'm out to activate your audacious faith. To inspire you to ask God for the impossible. And in the process, to reconnect you with your God-sized purpose and potential. -Steven Furtick"
I LOVED this book, and that's saying a LOT because I'm really more of a fiction type of gal. It is written well, with a good mix of personal experiences, scripture (especially focusing in on the story of Joshua and his "sun stand still" prayer), and stories of other 21st century people with audacious faith. It's taken me longer than I'd like to complete the book because there is just so much I want to think/pray about and ponder longer. Here is just a sampling of lines that jumped out at me:
- And further still: if the size of your vision for your life isn't intimidating to you, there's a good chance it's insulting to God.
- Audacity plays to win. I don't want to raise good boys. I want to raise great men who will do great things for a great God.
- Is there a need you can't stop thinking about that you're perfectly positioned to do something about? Do something about it, anything. Is there something you're good at that God could transform into greatness if you energized your efforts and focused your abilities for God's glory? Go for it. All the way. Are there subtle tweaks you can make in your everyday interactions and activities that will give God room to move in a miraculous way? Make room and get ready.
- The level of your impact will be directly proportional to the price you're willing to pay.
- the scope and impact of your vision will be determined by who you believe God is- and whether you have the courage to respond accordingly.
- If there is no limit to what God can do, then there is also no limit to what we can dream or pray or accomplish in His service.
- ... God's mercy can convert the mistakes of my past into wisdom for my future.
I highly recommend this book. I think there's something for everyone in it and I'll probably end up reading it again just to pick up things I missed the first time. If you do read it, or have read it, I'd love to hear what you think!