Sunday, February 20, 2011

Quotable Quote

Just read this quote by Dorothy Day. She was the founder of the Catholic Worker movement, and wrote this in her diary about why she didn't give up on the addicts and broken people she ministered to:

"Yes, I see only too clearly how bad people are. I wish I did not see it so. It is my own sins that give me such clarity. If I did not bear the scars of so many sins to dim my sight and dull my capacity for love and joy, then I would see Christ more clearly in you all. I cannot worry much about your sins and miseries when I have so many of my own. I can only love you all, poor fellow travelers, fellow sufferers. I do not want to add one straw to the burden you already carry. My prayer from day to day is that God will so enlarge my heart that I will see you all, and live with you all, in His love."

I LOVE the part that says, "I do not want to add one straw to the burden you already carry." How would that change my life? What if in every interaction we stopped and asked ourselves if we were adding to someone else's burden?


1 comment:

Beth said...

I really enjoyed reading this. It touched me.