Sunday, February 17, 2008

Poor Me!

Ever throw your own pity party? I like to think I'm not that kind of person, that I have more perspective than that, that I know how well off I am... the truth is, I'm not, I don't, and I rarely ever am.
It sucks to admit that, but it's true.
For instance, this December we had some extra money from various Christmas gifts, and I sarcastically said to Cody, "well, I'd love to spend this, but I know as soon as I do we'll have some crazy need arise and I'll kick myself for not saving it." I say that because it has happened the last 6 or 7 times we've had any extra cash. So, after sitting on it a month, I came up with some plans to fix up our kitchen (something I've wanted to do since we moved in 4 years ago). I added a little of my daycare cash to the mix and all of the sudden- dreams were born. Most of you know how much I love to renovate, so this was really exciting stuff! We were moving beyond painting a room, to things involving countertops and creating a pass through in the wall and adding an additional cabinet for storage and workspace. I spent many weekends trolling the aisles of Home Depot and Lowe's sniffing out good deals and ideal color schemes (not a small feat when you live an hour away from such places), not to mention countless hours surfing the net for coupons and other savings. Everything was in place, it was actually going to happen... and then...
The water went brown. We got it fixed, but it looks like we'll need a new well this summer...
We got our taxes done. A miscalculation for last year (not our fault) and now we owe around $500 by April.
Cody messed up his knee again, surgery may be looming...
Cody's car broke down.
Then the van broke down.

Seriously...
I'm so ready for a pity party, and I'm trying hard not to indulge my inner four year old. I know better. I know it's only money and that my kitchen is fine how it is. I know I need a cheaper hobby! :) I know that God is our ulitmate source for security, not an increasing bank account. I know I can't take any of it with me, and that I should be thankful for a healthy and whole family. I know there are so many in this world (even many of my friends) who are in much more difficult situations, monetarily, relationally, spiritually, etc. I know all this, and yet I sit here and pout... BUT I REALLY WANTED A NEW KITCHEN!!!

Pray for Cody's sanity... he's a saint when I'm a brat! tee! hee!

No comments: