Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Obedient Little Niece

So, my aunt Mo says I need to post on here again... ;) and since I'm an obedient little niece, here goes!

I don't really have much to say... I've been working on a more meaningful post for a week now, but I just don't have the energy to finish that one today.

Today... well, you'll get to hear about Ezra's eyes. I took the boys to the eye doctor last week fully expecting to come home having purchased glasses for Ezra. He's been blinking a lot, getting tired, and rubbing his eyes while reading for a while now, and I just assumed he had his mother and grandpa's eyes and was in need of glasses. Not so. Apparently Ezra's eyes are not tracking or converging the way they should. This means that when he's reading it becomes very difficult to keep his place, and much of the time he is seeing double. This also impacts his balance, ability to catch balls, dribble, etc. In fact, the eye doctor was surprised that Ezra's reading at all, let alone reading at or above grade level. So... vision therapy is needed. Vision therapy that is NOT covered by insurance. 20 sessions at $100 each, 3 times a week for 7 weeks. Yowzah.

Obviously, we are going to do the therapy. People pay significantly more than that for braces, snowmobiles, vacations, etc. I can't think of any investment I am more happy to put up funds for than ensuring my kids have the best shot I can give them at a solid education. Since reading is foundational to everything, it'll be money well spent. But still... oh my...

So, the bright side? I get 2 hours (yeah it's an hour one way to the therapy sessions) in the car, 3 times a week, to be alone with Ezra. I love hearing his heart, so I am looking forward to all the extra time together. :)

No comments: